Permeable paving has been a hot topic in the world of eco-friendly landscaping–and with good reason. Environmental conservation organizations like the D.E.C. are in love with permeable pavers because they help protect our watersheds from polluted storm water run-off.
Residential and commercial sectors are showing increasing demand for this technology, not only for the fantastic storm water management benefits but also for the excellent curb appeal — They just look so much more attractive than asphalt or blacktop — and they increase the value of your property.
The commercial and residential benefits make permeable paver systems very popular for large parking lot applications, residential driveways, walkways and patios.
Permeable pavers are not actually “permeable”
Contrary to what the name implies, the pavers themselves are not permeable. It’s the space between the pavers that is porous.
It’s the magic that’s going on under the pavers that makes this drainage solution so fantastic.
So, what’s so special about this? Let’s listen to Mark explain it and show you how it works.
Benefits of using a permeable paving system.
- Reduces harmful run-off salt, grease, oil, etc. (more Eco-friendly for sure).
- No puddling opportunities for ice buildup in winter.
- Better “curb appeal” than blacktop or asphalt.
- Increases the value of your property.
- Less maintenance and up-keep (no more blacktop resealing and crack repairs).
- Longer ware cycle makes pavers less costly long term.
- Unlimited number of colorful options to fit any setting, commercial or residential.
So, why should you care?
This process is a great way to deal with storm water on your property and it really is the right way to do it. Especially when considering the big picture from an environmental perspective.
We all want clean water and although your little house alone may not have a big impact in your local area, think of a million houses. Then when you look at the commercial impact storm water can have on our water supply, it becomes clear that these permeable paving systems are a great step in the right direction.